I suffered from renal failure in 1969 at the age of 2 1/2. I have HUS, Hemolytic Ueremic Syndrome and was diagnosed at 2 1/2. I am one of the very first patients on dialysis and am in early, early nephrology journals. I am in stage 2 of CKD or Chronic Kidney Disease and I go to see my nephrologist about every 4 months and get regular bloodwork done. I may never have to be on dialysis again but I was directly exposed to carbon monoxide in the fall of 2014 and anyone that has been exposed long enough it will affect your renal function to some extent. I was already in stage 1 of CKD at that point and that pushed me to stage 2. My nephrologist has prescribed a renal diet which is helping but I have nights where I am up every half hour. My doctor had me get a renal ultrasound 2 weeks ago and it came back normal, and I am suffering from an overactive bladder. Is there perhaps also a way to determine if it is just my overactive bladder or my advancing chronic kidney disease. What test or tests can I have done to determine this?

The testing that I recommend is a blood test to check the serum creatinine and calculate an estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) and urine testing for blood, protein and infection.  These tests should be done at least annually on any person with a history of kidney disease and someone with Stage 2 chronic kidney disease (CKD).  An overactive bladder is a urological problem and should be evaluated by a urologist if symptoms persist.

This entry was posted in Ask the Doctor, Blood/Urine Testing For Kidney Disease, Chronic Kidney Disease, GFR, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Laboratory Testing. Bookmark the permalink.