My mom is 60 years old and has chronic kidney disease (stage 4,gfr 15 -29 ml/min. What is the best way she can live a healthy longer life? What are the signs to look for to be concerned about?

It is difficult to provide a prognosis without knowing what caused the kidney disease and her underlying health.  In general, she should consult with her nephrologist and her primary care physician on a regular basis.  She should follow the advice of the physicians who know her the best. You and her family need to support any decisions that she may make and help her to the best of your ability.  If she chooses to avoid dialysis treatments, consultation with a palliative care physician and hospice service may also help her live as long as she can and as well as she can.

For more information on dialysis click here:

This entry was posted in Ask the Doctor, GFR, Kidney Failure, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Nephrologist. Bookmark the permalink.