Have had a kidney stone for 2 1/2 yrs and my urologist doesn’t seem concerned. In this time, I have had severe pain at times with blood in my urine, foamy urine and can be dirty looking, also fevers, nose ulcers, and I have an autoimmune disease that I do a shot of Enbrel every week. Dr takes an x-ray every 6 months and says it’s still not blocking anything, see you in another 6 months.

Kidney stones are usually evaluated and treatments are recommended by a urologist.  I am a nephrologist and do not treat kidney stones surgically.  A nephrologist would evaluate you and determine if there is anything that could be done to prevent a kidney stone, but would not be able to recommend treatment for an existing stone without consulting with a urologist.  If the urologist wants you to consult with a nephrologist, you may have to ask for a referral.  You should also discuss your concerns with your primary care physician (PCP).


This entry was posted in Ask the Doctor, Chronic Kidney Disease, Kidney Stones, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Laboratory Testing, Symptoms and Side Effects, Treatments. Bookmark the permalink.