Hello Doctor, My query is for my Mom. She is around 55 yrs of age, having diabetes and BP. Recently we took CT scan, and we came to know that she is having kidney stone in her left side. The report says “39×28 mm sized large branching calculus is seen in left renal pelvis, extending into lower calyx. Upper and middle calyxes are dilated and clubbed.” My query is what type of treatment required to remove it? Is it possible to remove the stone using “Lithotripsy”? Pls comment on it. She is diabetic but due to a controlled diet she is having 128 value after 2 hrs of breakfast. Though sugar is under control, would like to avoid going to surgery or Tunnel Surgery (Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy). Advance thanks for your reply.

The question that you ask is a urological question.  I am a nephrologist and have no expertise in regards to the surgical treatment of kidney stone disease.  I suggest that you consult with a urologist, who is a surgeon.

For more information on kidney stones click here:


This entry was posted in Ask the Doctor, Chronic Kidney Disease, Diabetes, Kidney Stones, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Laboratory Testing, Nephrologist, Treatments, Urological Issues. Bookmark the permalink.