I am a kidney donor. I have pain in my upper right side. The doctor did a US abdomen. He says I have some kidney swelling. Would a CT (I’m allergic to iodine dye) or an MRI be a better exam for me.

I am unable to recommend medical testing or management without performing a complete history and physical examination.  Testing with computerized tomography (CT) scanning or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is done for specific reasons.  I suggest that you consult with your physician to see which imaging test will be most likely to yield the best information.  CT scanning can be done without iodinated contrast and could yield some information.  MRI scanning sometimes is done with contrast that does not contain iodinated contrast and could be helpful if contrast is needed to get the appropriate information.


This entry was posted in Ask the Doctor, Blood/Urine Testing For Kidney Disease, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Laboratory Testing, Living Donation, Symptoms and Side Effects, Treatments. Bookmark the permalink.