I have a GFR of 47 and a creatinine of 1.28. Should I see a kidney specialist as well as my primary care doctor? I do not have diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease. I do have some odd autoimmune diseases. I am 55 years old.

Most primary care physicians (PCP’s) are capable to caring for early Stage 3 chronic kidney disease (CKD).  I do recommend that you also have urine testing for blood, protein and infection to see if there are other findings associated with your kidney disease.  I typically recommend referral to a nephrologist when the estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) is less than 30 milliliters per minute per 1.73 meters squared.  If your PCP is concern, then referral to a nephrologist may be appropriate and can be arranged by your PCP.


This entry was posted in Ask the Doctor, Chronic Kidney Disease, GFR, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Laboratory Testing, Nephrologist, Treatments. Bookmark the permalink.