My husband has just been told that the valve on the ureter tube leading to his kidney does not work properly which causes urine to back up which has led to some damage to the kidney. Is this treatable or what are options for dealing with this diagnosis?

The problem that you describe is known as “reflux nephropathy” or “vesicoureteral reflux”. This is a urological problem and should be directed to a urologist, who is a surgeon. I am a nephrologist and have no surgical expertise. I suggest consultation with a urologist.

This entry was posted in Ask the Doctor, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Nephrologist, Urological Issues. Bookmark the permalink.