Category Archives: Urological Issues

My son was diagnosed with pre-natal bilateral hydronephrosis. After his birth, had bilateral pyeloplasty for PUJO obstruction within 3 months. There are never an UTI after both pyeloplasties. After 1.5 yrs , grade 4 and 5 reflux (VUR) was identified in both kidneys. However no UTI since then. Currently his serum creatinine is 0.7 mg/dl and eGFR of 63 mL/min/1.73 as per Schwartz Formula. His height is 105 CM. Can his condition considered stage 2 mild CKD ? If it possible to improve the GFR from current level to Stage 1? 

I am an adult nephrologist and have no expertise in children.  The problem that you describe is a urological problem.  It is best to discuss your concerns with a pediatric nephrologist or a pediatric urologist. Advertisements

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Nephrologist, Pediatric Issues, Urological Issues

I am a 62 year-old male presenting with blood in my urine, and painful urination; also penile pain. The symptoms come and go, but I do have a history of UTIs going back over 10 years. I have also had a complex cyst identified in one of my kidneys. My urine cultures and lab work come back with no sign of infection or compromised kidney function. I do have BPH, with a recently scored PSA of .74. Any idea what might be going on?

The problem that you mention is a urological problem.  I am a nephrologist and have no expertise in regards to bladder or prostate issues.  You may be dealing with chronic prostatitis.  I recommend that you consult with a urologist.

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Urological Issues

K/C/O right ectopic ureter S/P right open ureteric reimplantation was done to my daughter at 4 months of age (April 2016). MCU done on Jan 2018 shows right grade V vesicoureteric reflux. Is it common to get a grade V reflux for the surgical procedure stated above. After 1 year of her operation her DTPA suggested both kidneys were functioning normally. But now MCU shows grade V reflux. What should we do next. They have advised to do DMSA test. Doctor, please advise what to do next.

The problem that you describe is a urological problem. I am a nephrologist and have no surgical expertise.  You should address your question to a urologist. Since your daughter is very young, you may need to ask this question of … Continue reading

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Nephrologist, Pediatric Issues, Urological Issues

I recently had surgery for a PUJ obstruction caused by a crossing vessel. First I had a stent in my ureter for 3 months and my symptoms improved then the stent was removed and symptoms returned so I had I laparoscopic pyloplasy 4 months ago. Following the surgery I became very sick and didn’t eat for a week and was vomiting and in severe pain. It was found that I had formed blood clots which created further blockage. This was treated and after 10 days in hospital with intravenous antibiotics I was allowed home. I kept the catheter in for 4weeks after as there was still a lot of fluid coming to the the kidney drain which was removed a further 2 weeks later. I have returned to work now but I have not been well a few times. I am generally very tired these days and sleep about 10 hours a night. I still get very swollen around my right kidney and sometimes don’t urinate much for a few days and then urinate a lot in the night. My face gets puffy when I’m not well and I do get dizzy and fainted once about a month ago. The doctor didn’t find infection in my urine but it was very cloudy. I also get chills sometimes. I haven’t had blood tests recently but about 6weeks ago it showed anemia and inflammation but this was taken as a result of the excessive blood loss after surgery. Please can you give me advice on what to do next?

The problem that you describe is a urological problem.  I am a nephrologist and do not perform any surgery.  You should consult with a urologist, who is a surgeon.  I have no expertise in the situation that you describe.   … Continue reading

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Urinary Tract Infection/Pyelonephritis, Urological Issues

My father has been undergoing hemodialysis treatment the past 3 months and just recently has stopped urinating. I realize this is common to dialysis patients however he still feels the need to urinate much of the day. Is there any treatment or medication to effectively mitigate this symptom of the need to urinate sensation?

Most dialysis patients continue to make some urine.  If your father has suddenly stopped urination, this could mean that he has prostatic blockage and does have urinary retention. I suggest that you father see his primary care physician or his … Continue reading

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Dialysis, Kidney Failure, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Laboratory Testing, Nephrologist, Symptoms and Side Effects, Urological Issues

Hello sir, I have stones in my left kidney and I feel burden on right kidney as well. My creatinine level is 0.9. Recently 1 year ago, I have test a renal scan in which the left kidney function 32% and right have 68%. Now sometimes I feel pressure on left side of chest and sometimes I urinate too much.

The reduced function in your left kidney could be due to the burden of kidney stones. The diagnosis and treatment of kidney stones should be performed by a urologist. A urologist is a surgeon and deals with kidney stones once … Continue reading

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Kidney Stones, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Nephrologist, Urological Issues

Hi, I am contacting because on Tuesday, Dec, 12th I had a cysto bilateral retrograde pyelogram plus hydrodistention for suspected IC. The same day of the procedures once I got back home and all the anesthesia and other meds wore off, (5hrs later) I had the worst left flank and lower back pain. I researched all the after affects and pains, that was expected and present, such as the soreness and blood in urine was there for maybe 2 days and my urine cleared up yesterday; all went away but this left lower abdomen throbbing in pain and all through my lower back. It is coming and going as at first I had no relief from several options of pain relief.The pain is on and off, but remains to me as a mild dull pain and without moving much around or anything strenuous; it suddenly starts immediately as severe. I become unable to stand up straight, bend any way and any little movements such as a sneeze or cough sends a sharp pain in the same area all while its still throbbing. It’s Saturday, and I cant stand being in hospitals and since its coming and going I’m just hoping to make it till Monday to see my doctor again. I had called the on call doctor where I go, and he thinks it could be a partial obstruction in my kidney or just still irritation from the procedures (Yet, Ive found nothing mentioning this pain afterwards and on day 5). I have been having a very hard time with doctors in the area I live so I found this site in hopes of much more detailed and possibly more accurate information/advice to get. Could the distention of my bladder have harmed my kidney during the procedures? Ive read all I can handle these last 4-5 days and I can not link anyone else having this problem after those specific tests and for the diagnosis of IC. My doctor did confirm that it is IC, btw. Also, I do understand if correct its the IC I have, than I’ve read common symptoms are lower back pain and flank pain. I’ve had neither, up until after that procedure. My suspected diagnoses of IC was on November 2nd, 2017, over a month of sudden lower abdomen- bladder area burning pain and a week of gross hematuria, then it just disappeared (just the blood). My lower abdomen has remained inflamed feeling the whole month, and a couple weeks ago I started to have right sided mild- moderate throbbing flank pain too, which is very strange to me that it was my right kidney area hurting and then after these tests, its now my left side hurting and at a severe degree. This started for me on November 2nd, the day I stopped a new beta blocker for a recent diagnosis of Tachycardia. Was only on the new beta blocker 3 days before I had to stop. Was making me very ill and I had right sided flank pain only on the second day of that medication which was severe as well but eventually just stopped. Is IC something that just starts up like that without previous symptoms?? Could all this tests still not be showing something wrong with my kidneys? I also need to say I suffer from endometriosis and IBS- Colitis and wonder if any of that could be a reason for this pain or just all of the above. Please if someone could give me some causes for this pain when it seems no one has had this problem as I’ve been researching other peoples experiences and popular websites that say nothing about this pain. That was my first time for the retrograde pyelogram and hydrodistention. I’m not getting much help from the doctors I see so any and all advice will be so appreciated and helpful to better understand this all. Also, I did have a CT scan of my abdomen last month that said I have the bladder wall thickening and everything else was fine. I am wondering that either something else could be going on or the procedures hurt me further, just am thinking, if something was already going on with my kidneys; I thought they would be able to see that from the test and contrast dye and X-rays taken. Thank you.

The problem that you detail is a urological problem. I am a nephrologist and I have no surgical expertise. I have no expertise with conditions of the bladder and lower urinary tract. I also do not have any special knowledge … Continue reading

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Nephrologist, Urological Issues

We just found out, during a check up, that my 7 year old little girl has a duplicate right kidney. Now is this going to be an issue, is she going to need surgery? If all 3 kidneys are working can we donate one?

If there are no symptoms, then it is unlikely that anything will have to be done about a duplicated right kidney. In most cases, duplicated kidneys are not normal in size but rather mean that the right kidney has been … Continue reading

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Transplantation, Urological Issues

Hi, I’m a 63 y/o female with no significant medical problems. On Atenolol for a supraventricular arrhythmia (many years) and Simvastatin mainly as a preventative(years). For the past 2 years, I have had a few routine urine tests (w/no particular symptoms), the initial ones showed a small amount of hemoglobin, the last 3, moderate amounts. No RBCs. My CBC is normal and do not have other issues other than age related (minor aches, skin changes) after the initial UA my GP referred me to Urology, cystoscopy was negative, in the process, a caruncle was found in the urethra, had a course of estrogen, did not reduce the size of it, not bleeding from it, occasionally feel a bit of irritation in contact with clothing. My GP and Urologist do not think I need further F/U when asked about the cause of the presence of hemoglobin. My last UA was yesterday, again with moderate hemoglobin, no RBCs, no other abnormal findings. Not sure of the significance of this persistent hemoglobin showing in the urine w/o Sx (other than the caruncle). Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

I do not identify any kidney disease from the information that you present. I suspect that this is a urological problem and not related to the kidney. If you have been evaluated by a urologist, I’m not sure there is … Continue reading

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Nephrologist, Urological Issues

I have a stone in the left lower pole measuring 3.6cm in height and 1.4cm in width it fills the entire left lower pole and extends into the lower part of the renal pelvis. I have pain in this area when I am active working and exercising. I have been told that this pain is coming from my back not likely from my kidney. I feel like its coming from my kidney, what do you think?. Should I think about having this stone removed? I am a male 60 years old good health.

I am a nephrologist and have no surgical expertise. The problem that you describe is a urological problem and should be addressed to a urologist. A urologist is a surgeon and deals with stone disease of the kidney and questions … Continue reading

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Nephrologist, Urological Issues