I have stage 3 kidney disease and I just got back my PTH results. Hyperparathyroidism: Primary Calcium High, Secondary Calcium Normal or Low, Tertiary, Intact PTH High, Calcium High and Non-Parathyroid Hypercalcemia Calcium High. Does that mean that the Non-Parathyroid Hypercalcemia condition have nothing to do with my Hyperparathyroidism?

Your question implies that you have an elevated parathyroid hormone result.  This must be interpreted by a physician who knows you and can examine you.  I am not able to clarify the results of your laboratory testing without performing a complete history and physical examination.  You need to discuss this with your primary care physician (PCP) or the physician who ordered the testing.

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Laboratory Testing

What is the normal/healthy size of an adult kidney?

Your kidney should be just a little bigger than your fist.  When using an ultrasound device for examining the kidney, the ultrasound measurement should be greater than 11 centimeters in length for a man and greater than 10 centimeters in length for a woman.  There is some variation in length depending on the technique used to measure the kidney.

Posted in Kidney-Related Health Questions

I am a dentist practicing in Minnesota and have a patient who recently had a kidney removed. Does patients like her need prophylactic antibiotics before invasive dental procedures, and if yes, for how long? I sent her home until we can get more information to be on the safe side, but needed some confirmation.

After nephrectomy, there is no need for dental prophylaxis antibiotic therapy.  If someone is going to need dialysis and has a fistula in preparation for dialysis, dental prophylaxis therapy is needed in that circumstance.  I do not see a reason for dental prophylaxis otherwise.

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Nephrectomy / One kidney, Treatments

I was sent to a nephrologist after having abnormal blood test results. I have been in the ER twice in the past 4 months due to heart issues. This last time 2 weeks ago for a possible heart attack. My potassium level was 2.8. My creatinine is 1.31, my BUN is 26, my PTH is 57.2 and my GFR is 42. I was told by the nephrologist that I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease and it is due to my uncontrolled high blood pressure for the past almost 30 years and from the medications they have had me on. I asked to be taken off of the meds and put on something else to control my BP since these meds have not helped. One of the meds is Triamterene/HCTZ. He refused to take me off of them and stated that there is nothing they can do for me and I just need to consume more potassium rich foods and drinks. My PCP also refuses to change my meds but did say I should stop taking the HCTZ and keep drinking a lot and everything will clear up and my kidney disease will go away. I don’t know what to believe or think anymore. I am sick all the time. My resting heart rate goes as high as 140 but my heart is fine. I am extremely weak and tired all the time. I have no appetite at all. I drink a lot and I pee a lot. I don’t sleep much at night as I have trouble falling asleep. I have RA and they stopped my medication for pain saying it will cause more damage. I have a brain tumor for the past 24 years and they told me no more contrast dye with my MRI for maintenance of the brain tumor. I am scared and concerned. What should I be doing? Do I do nothing like they suggest? I am 52 years old and I don’t want this to progress to stage 4 but I don’t know how to stop it since the doctors don’t want to help me.

I am unable to make a specific diagnosis based on the information that you provide.  You may have chronic kidney disease (CKD), if your blood tests for estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) stay abnormal for more than 3 months.  You should also have urine testing looking for blood, protein or pus cells in the urine.  In this situation, I think it is best to seek the advice of a primary care physician (PCP) who can help you manage the consultations that you receive from specialists.  I suggest you consult your PCP for further advice.  That is usually the best recourse.

Posted in Chronic Kidney Disease, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Symptoms and Side Effects

8yrs ago I had a very large exposure to Histoplasmosis. I was told to that this could cause problems in other organs besides my lung. Do I have any need to be concerned about my kidneys/bladder due to this exposure? It was a large and prolonged exposure.

Histoplasmosis will affect lungs and occasionally the spleen.  The disease can become disseminated and involve many different organs, but I am not aware of any involvement of the kidneys or bladder as a manifestation of disseminated histoplasmosis.

Posted in Kidney-Related Health Questions

Is too much sun exposure bad? I have one kidney and it has 20 percent function.

Too much sun exposure is associated with skin cancer and skin wrinkling but should not have any effect on your kidneys.

Posted in Kidney-Related Health Questions

I am from Jordan. Two months ago my dad had a kidney disease and he entered a hospital & had some tests! The test were not good at all. If you want, I will send you his test result. My question is what kind of food he should eat & avoid? And do you have a program or schedule you can send to me, I would be more than grateful!

I cannot make a diagnosis or provide medical advice until I perform a complete history and physical examination.  Your father should learn his diagnosis and recommendations for treatment and diet from the physicians who are currently caring for him.  It is first necessary for your father to have a specific diagnosis as to the cause of his kidney disease, then this will lead to proper treatment and diet recommendations.

For general information about chronic kidney disease please click here.

Posted in Chronic Kidney Disease, Kidney-Related Health Questions, Laboratory Testing

My VA doctor recommended this site. My EGFR was 33 and during this has fluctuated between 34 to 38 so it is now 33. I do not drink alcohol but do drink 3/4 cups of coffee daily and a few glasses of tea per week. Should I just go to drinking water only?

The information that you provide suggests that you may have Stage 3 chronic kidney disease (CKD), but it does not tell my why you have CKD.  If you have polycystic kidney disease (PCKD), you should not drink coffee or tea because the caffeine may worsen the pain associated with PCKD.  Otherwise, it does not make any difference what liquids you are drinking, the kidney should be able to process the liquids safely.

Posted in Chronic Kidney Disease, Diet/Nutrition, Kidney-Related Health Questions

I have to urinate 10 times a day. My feet are swollen and became normal again. Is it kidney disease? I am 22 years old.

I cannot make a diagnosis of chronic kidney disease (CKD) based on your symptoms.  The only way to make a diagnosis of CKD is to be examined by your physician.  I suggest that you consult with your primary care physician (PCP).

Posted in Ask the Doctor, Symptoms and Side Effects

I was diagnosed with early stage 2 PKD earlier this year. I understand the importance of staying hydrated, but I don’t care much for plain water. Is caffeine- free diet cola an acceptable substitute at this stage of the disease?

Colas contain an excessive amount of phosphates and I do not advise drinking colas with chronic kidney disease.  I would advise just plain water or lemonade as a better alternative.

Posted in Diet/Nutrition, Kidney-Related Health Questions